Tuesday 15 January 2013

Top Drawer, Pom-Poms and Decoupage

Wow, can not believe it's been so long since my last post! My course starts back next Monday so in the meantime I will fill you in on some creative projects that I've been up to.....

A friend showed me how to make tissue paper pom-poms. I made loads for my daughters 1950's themed birthday party. I have had quite a few compliments and they look so nice I might keep them up a while longer.

Tissue Paper Pom-Pom

1. Stack ten standard size sheets of tissue paper. Make 1 1/2-inch wide accordion folds, creasing with each fold on the short side.
2. Fold the paper in half to mark the halfway point and secure with a piece of floral wire or a bag tie. Unfold and tie either a piece of ribbon or thread (I used invisible thread) to the wire, this will be used to hang the pom-pom. I personally like them hanging at various heights so did mine with different lengths of thread.
3. With scissors, trim ends of tissue into rounded or pointy shapes.
4. Once secured, slightly fan out the paper and then carefully separate the layers, pulling away from centre one at a time. Don't worry if it tears you wont notice once its all done. As you carry on you should see a sphere shape forming, tweak the paper until you are happy then hang :)

Christmas Baubles

I covered some old tired baubles with some leftover decoupage papers and glue, they turned out brilliantly and cost me nothing! I bought my son a stags head can't wait to see how that turns out.
If anyone is interested in having a go at decoupaging, SewSister stock everything you need to get started :)

 
For the last couple of days I have been helping exhibit with SewSister at Top Drawer, Earls Court. We met lots of interesting people and have subsequently got some rather exciting leads to follow up. I am particularly proud of the finished stand which I helped design...giant bobbins!!!
The credit for all the other lovely things has to sit with Sue :)

Photo: Our stand at Top Drawer, Earls Court, London
 
Anyway TTFN from Vinnie & Bea

No comments:

Post a Comment